Top positive review
115 people found this helpful
Keep it clean, and use clean water!
on January 4, 2018
I bought this Honeywell humidifier in March 2014, and it runs continuously in the winter months. A few comments, in reaction to some of the very negative reviews posted here:
1. You have to clean the unit regularly. This would be true of any humidifier -- no getting around it. Scrub out the base, which is where the water sits. It is also worth cleaning the dust off the fan blades and the surrounding housing, maybe every year or so depending on your dust levels. You can CAREFULLY pry up the fan cover with a screwdriver to gain access. Make sure the unit is unplugged, of course.
2. You can get longer wick (filter) life by cleaning the wick. I use diluted bleach and soak for a while; this requires thorough rinsing. White vinegar would also work. Don't wait until the wick is completely crusted over with minerals.
3. Noise cannot be avoided, especially on the highest setting. But I have found this to be a reasonably quiet humidifier, and I've had several.
4. If the water level is not going down at all, try reseating the water jug. The valve in the cap must be seated correctly in order to work. Pull up the jug just an inch or so, and carefully lower it. Also make sure the lid is tightened evenly and is not over- or under-tightened.
5. One reviewer noted that mineral-laden well water can cause problems. True! Many humidifiers recommend using distilled water. This is an added cost, but it will keep your wick very clean. I use tap water and I add the bacteriocide that you find on the store shelf next to the humidifiers.
6. Some users complain of inadequate humidity levels. I find the same thing -- humidity in upper 20s instead of upper 30s -- when we have unusually cold weather, because the furnace is running longer. You might also experience inadequate humidity levels if the unit is in a particularly large room. Not the fault of the humidifier -- just the nature of the situation.
I hope this is useful to some of you. I am quite pleased with this Honeywell humidifier.